Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Something to think over.

I just want to quickly share with you all something I jut read, literally about two minute ago. It is so profound and heartbreaking, that it makes me want to spring into action.
The following paragraph is from Phillip Yancey's book, What's So Amazing About Grace. This story came from a friend of his who worked in Chicago.

A prostitute cam to see me in wretched atraits, homeless, sick, unable to buy food for her two-year-old daughter. Through sobs and tears, she told me she had been renting out her daughter - two years old! - to men interested in kinky sex. She made more renting out her daughter for an hour than she could earn on her own in a night. She had to do it, she said, to support her own drug habit. I could hardly bear hearing her sordid story. For one thing, it made me legally liable - I'm required to report cases of child abuse. I had no idea what to day to this woman.
At last, I asked if she ever thought of going to church for help. I will never forget the look of pure, naive shock that crossed her face. "Church!" she cried. "Why would I ever go there? I was already feeling terrible about myself. They'd just make me feel worse."

So what are we going to do? Pray for people like this? Hand them a Bible? What if instead, when we saw people who are alone, hungry, cold, sick, or suffering, we stopped and took time from our day to buy them food or socks or a blanket or maybe just talk to them and show that we care? Just a thought... Now what will we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment